BackgroundThe Quality Use of Pathology Program (QUPP) was originally established in 1999 under the then pathology Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between pathology stakeholders and the Australian Government. The Australian Government is represented by the Department of Health (the Department). There is a continued commitment to providing support for initiatives that improve patient care through enhancing the quality of pathology services and the appropriate use of services.
The Quality Use of Pathology Program has three key objectives:
- Quality Referrals (Requesting or Ordering): To support referral practices that are informed and facilitated by best practice professional relationships and protocols between referrers and providers; that:
- are informed by evidence
- maximise health benefits; and
- inform and engage consumers.
- Quality Pathology Practice: To support professional practice standards that meet consumer and referrer needs and provide evidence-based, best practice, quality-assured services that are safe, cost effective and efficient.
- Quality Consumer Services: To develop and improve consumer-focussed, accessible and coordinated services that promote informed choice and meet consumer needs.
Should you have any further queries please contact the QUPC Secretariat.
Pathology Quality Section
Medical Benefits Division
Department of Health
GPO Box 9848 (MDP 851)
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Email: [email protected]